Stuffed Lemon Rice Salmon
Main recipe page
Lamendola, health and fitness expert
Note: This is an old recipe. Due to the high levels of
mercury in today's fish, we do not recommend eating fish.
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/ 4 cup whole grain rice
- 1 1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1/4 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 tsp grated lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 whole cleaned salmon (4 to 8 pounds)
- 1 small grapefruit
- Add 6 tbspn oil to saucepan.
- Add sliced celery and chopped onion.
- Cook over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add thyme leaves, lemon peel, lemon juice and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Mix in rice and cover
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
See box below for further instructions....
|While rice is cooking:|
- Add remaining 3 tbspn oil to skillet.
- Add mushroom slices and cook over medium heat until soft.
When rice is done, stir in mushrooms, salt and pepper
- Lightly pack stuffing into cavity of the whole salmon.
- Sew opening closed with heavy thread.
- Cut a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil to fit one side of fish.
- Coat foil generously with olive oil.
- Slice grapefruit as thinly as possible. Then lay half the slices, overlapping, on oiled
- Lay fish on grapefruit; then press foil smoothly to fit underside of fish. Arrange
remaining slices of grapefruit evenly over top of fish.
- Place about 20 medium-glowing coals on each side of fire grill.
- Place grill 4 to 6 inches above coals.
- Place fish, foil-side-down, on grill directly over space between coals.
- Arrange a wad of foil under tail to support it. Drizzle fish with olive oil.
- Cover barbecue and adjust dampers or cover grill completely with heavy-duty foil,
tucking foil over edges of barbecue to seal.
- Baste occasionally with olive oil, until fish flakes easily when prodded with fork. This
should take half an hour or more.
This recipe is complicated and time consuming, but salmon is a good source
of protein and essential fatty acids. You might serve this with an assortment of garden
greens, steamed broccoli or asparagus, and zucchini squash.
If your interest in these healthy, tasty
recipes has anything to do with fitness, take advantage of the free articles and
discount athletic nutritional supplements at www.supplecity.com
Main recipe page