Articles To Help Your Pets
Some dog tips
To avoid having a bad dog experience, begin with these tips:
- Learn dog training basics. You don't need to be able to train your
dog to do fancy tricks. But you do need to train your dog on the basics
such as heeling while walking, sit, stay, and leave it.
- Learn people training basics. Here's where the dog-human
relationship often goes awry. You need to be consistent with your rules,
lavish with your praise, and restrained in your negative communication.
- Learn your dog's language. Your dog will communicate with you, using
a variety of sounds, gestures, and facial expressions. Pay attention!
- Teach your dog your language. Be consistent and deliberate in your
words, gestures, facial expressions, and commands. You will have to be
very conscious about what you might say or do that could confuse the
dog, and then make an effort to avoid those things.
Some tips on cat care
- Cats need love and affection, just as dogs do. But, you need to let the cat come to you.
- Cats need their space. Let certain areas be off-limits to you except for cleaning and
maintenance. An space that provides privacy and some darkness will do.
- Cats like it when you talk to directly to them--use animated tones but keep your volume
- Do not "crank it up." A loud stereo causes incredible stress in cats.
- If your cat has a behavior problem, work with your
veterinarian to overcome it. Using the wrong methods will only make the cat resent you and behave
- If you pick your cat up (such as when going for a walk and encountering a dog), support
the cat's weight under the butt. Never pick a cat up by the arm pits or the belly--think
of how you would want your weight supported if lifted up. Then make a little more
allowance for the cat. Don't ever pick a cat up by front or rear limbs.
- If the cat "chirps" at you and walks away, that is a sign that you are to
follow. Act inquisitive, and mimic the cat's sounds. This lets the cat know you are
interested in what s/he has to say.
- Cats love to "help" make the bed. However, rather than get cat dander over
freshly-laundered sheets, let the cat "help" you make the bed the morning before
you wash the sheets. At other times, shut the door and let the cat in when you are done.
- Learn how best to stroke your particular cat by practicing various light strokes around
the ears, chin, sides, back, and other places while gaging the cat's reaction.
- Don't feed your cat table scraps. To give your cat variety, you can use "people
food." But, use small amounts of such food as an occasional treat. Tuna mixed
with yogurt and chopped vegetables (broccoli works well) will give your cat a nutritious,
|Dog Items Quick Links
- The reason a dog has so many friends is
that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
- Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
- If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when
I die I want to go where they went.
- There is no psychiatrist in the world
like a puppy licking your face.
- A dog is the only thing on earth that
loves you more than he loves himself.
- The average dog is a nicer person than
the average person.
- We give dogs time we can spare, space we
can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us
their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
- Dogs love their friends and bite their
enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and
always have to mix love and hate.
- I wonder if other dogs think poodles are
members of a weird religious cult.
- A dog teaches a boy fidelity,
perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes
like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones
- If I have any beliefs about immortality,
it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and
very, very few persons.
- If your dog is fat, you aren't getting
- My dog is worried about the economy
because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog
- Ever consider what our dogs must think of
us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most
amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're
the greatest hunters on earth!
- Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein
- If you pick up a starving dog and make
him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal
difference between a dog and a man.
- You can say any foolish thing to a dog,
and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right!
I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
- Dogs are not our whole life, but they
make our lives whole.
- If you think dogs can't count, try
putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only
two of them.
- My goal in life is to be as good a person
as my dog already thinks I am.
Other Dog Websites|
Assistance Dogs International
Check out this