Training Your Dog Not to Pull
All Pet Articles
Can your dog leave it?
|By Sally the Trainer, of
For more tips on helping your dog be his or her best, see http://www.sallysangels.com
Training Tip: Pulling
Some people like their dogs to drag them down the street. I don't. I'm getting too old
for that kind of workout. Besides when your dog is not walking nicely next to you,
accidents can happen, like accidentally knocking over a small child, dog scarfing up
something that could make him sick, getting run over, etc. That's why I am not in favor
a flexi-leash for walks. You have very little control of your dog. But how do you keep the
pup at your side? Here are some training tips. The more you do them the better the
- Keep the leash short but relaxed. If you keep the leash taut then the dog struggles to
get away and pulls. You want your dog to walk willingly next to you with a relaxed leash.
When the dog pulls, tightens the leash, you stop (every time he pulls, STOP). When he
looks back at you like, "Hey man, what's happening?", call the dog back and
praise mightily as he relaxes the leash and comes back to you to a heel position. Praise
the entire time he comes back, praise any step toward you and not away from you. Use a
squeak toy or treat (if you have to) to get the dog to come back to you willingly and
praise, praise praise.
- Also, you can try palming a treat or holding a favorite toy next to your thigh (train on
heel side and on right side), the dog should be more interested in your hand than pulling.
- Teach the dog to walk slowly. It's hard to drag you if he is walking slowly. Use the
command or queue "slow."
- When the dog walks at your side on a relaxed leash, say the command or queue "good
easy." When he pulls, say "easy." And lure him back.
Check out the training tip archives at
Note: I need home video clips of puppies or dogs in action doing something funny or fun
for my Puppy Power Video. I thought I'd have time with this pup to do lots of filming but
. . . If you have something Email me with your address at email@example.com and I'll
mail you a release. Thanks, Sally.
Special note on Sally's Angels: http://www.sallysangels.com
is a fun site about and for service dogs. Service dogs are our
passion. Service Dogs really do make a difference in people's lives. They truly are
Thanks for the free tips, Sally. Mindconnection is proud to host your article,
and we recommend http://www.sallysangels.com
to anyone interested in dogs.
-- Mark Lamendola, Mindconnection.com
|Dog Items Quick Links
- The reason a dog has so many friends is
that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
- Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
- If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when
I die I want to go where they went.
- There is no psychiatrist in the world
like a puppy licking your face.
- A dog is the only thing on earth that
loves you more than he loves himself.
- The average dog is a nicer person than
the average person.
- We give dogs time we can spare, space we
can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us
their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
- Dogs love their friends and bite their
enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and
always have to mix love and hate.
- I wonder if other dogs think poodles are
members of a weird religious cult.
- A dog teaches a boy fidelity,
perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down.
- Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes
like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones
- If I have any beliefs about immortality,
it is that certain dogs I have known will go to heaven, and
very, very few persons.
- If your dog is fat, you aren't getting
- My dog is worried about the economy
because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog
- Ever consider what our dogs must think of
us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most
amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're
the greatest hunters on earth!
- Women and cats will do as they please,
and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein
- If you pick up a starving dog and make
him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal
difference between a dog and a man.
- You can say any foolish thing to a dog,
and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right!
I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry
- Dogs are not our whole life, but they
make our lives whole.
- If you think dogs can't count, try
putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then give him only
two of them.
- My goal in life is to be as good a person
as my dog already thinks I am.
Other Dog Websites|
Assistance Dogs International
Check out this