This page is for those with loved ones who have AIDS.
All Personal Growth Articles
AIDS: Ten Tips
- AIDS is not a "disease of the gay." In fact, the population segment with the
most rapid increase is among heterosexual teenagers.
- You can get AIDS from a blood transfusion. The likelihood of such is much lower today
than a few years ago, but there is always that chance. Therefore, practice safe driving
(keep your following distance) and avoid alcohol (it makes you more accident-prone).
- People who have AIDS need understanding, support, and friendship. It is a terrifying
disease that could afflict anyone. Remember this: But for the grace of God, there go
- You can get AIDS from reusing a hypodermic needle. No case of AIDS has been traced back to coming from a toilet seat. You can get other diseases from a toilet seat, though, so
practice good hygiene.
- More people die from tobacco use each year than die from AIDS. If you want to
mistreat or avoid AIDS victims out of fear of catching AIDS, then it would only be fair
for you to treat smokers the same way.
- More people die from heart disease each year than from AIDS. You know your couch potato
friends who eat foods high in saturated fats? See #5 for how to treat them.
- More people die from traffic fatalities each year than from AIDS. Over 95% of traffic
deaths are due to unsafe driving practices, such as tailgating. See #5 if you know anybody
who doesn't maintain a 2-second following distance behind the car in front of him/her.
- A condom does not provide automatic protection against AIDS, as it covers only part of
the anatomy. However, it covers the part that is the most likely portal for transmission
of whatever causes AIDS.
- We still do not know what causes AIDS--a fair number of people who have the "AIDS virus" show no symptoms, even after a decade. And other people seem to
have put AIDS into permanent remission. So, don't judge those who have AIDS, and don't be
too confident you won't get it.
- AIDS is looking more and more like a disease of opportunity. This means it is
like a burglar who goes around looking for a house with weak security. The best thing you
can do is maintain an overall healthy lifestyle.
regularly, avoid highly-processed foods, eat a balanced diet, take a multivitamin, get
plenty of rest, and do something fun from time to time. Find a purpose or two in
life, and share hugs often. These steps will make your body very unattractive to diseases
in general. Take it from a guy who hasn't been sick in 30 years.
Handling ignorant people
Parents of children who have contracted AIDS through blood transfusions have
had to deal with ignorant people who have the zany idea that God is punishing
the children for some sin or another. So they make stupid remarks to the parents
about this. In other situations, gay-bashing is the "help" of choice even if the
AIDS victims isn't gay.
What can you do when people like this accost you? Not much. If they were
reasonable, they wouldn't say such ignorant, stupid things. Just ignore them.
They are not worth a response, and if you give one they will not listen.
Don't let others rattle you. Some people will try to rattle you, for whatever
reason. Often, it's because they have control issues. Some people may rattle you
unintentionally, because they lack sensitivity or are just ignorant. In either
case, the opinions of these people are just their opinions. Their opinions do
not make you wrong. You do not need the approval of these people, so don't try
to obtain it by arguing your case or defending yourself.
If you have "friends"
who are this way, you may wish to have a discussion to clear the air. If that's
the case, don't get dragged into an argument and don't get angry. And don't
forget that you can always end toxic relationships and you can always make new