The Lingo Xplorer-52 pocket translator helps English-speaking people communicate with Urdu-speaking people; for each of its languages, it contains 20,000 words and 2,000 phrases.
Urdu is the national language of Pakistan, and has been around for about 400 years. Its vocabulary is about 70% Farsi. The other 30% consists of Arabic and Turkish. The grammar and syntax, however, are different from that of these three languages (however, it uses some grammatical rules from Arabic and Farsi).
Complicating things even further, words from English and Hindi are now showing up in Urdu. The American misadventures in Afghanistan have brought Urdu speakers in contact with CIA and military personnel, whose culture has somewhat rubbed off on them. It's common to hear American cusswords and slang used by Urdu speakers.
But why the Hindi? In short, Bollywood. Yes, Pakistanis and Indians stare at each other across nuclear arsenals, but in the 1950s and 1960s the USSR and the USA did the same thing. American kids growing up in that time watched Natasha and Bullwinkle cartoons, while today Pakistani boys croon over gorgeous Indian film starlets.
If you go to Pakistan, you'll probably encounter some Pakistanis who speak English as a second language. Some tips on communicating with Urdu speakers (can also help with English speakers in the USA!):
Clearly annunciate your ending consonants. Midwesterners in the USA tend not to do this.
Use short words. They are easier to understand.
Speak a bit more slowly than usual. Your Pakistani counterpart can probably understand your rapid speech, but the opposite may not be true. By speaking more slowly and deliberately, you help slow the other person down so you can understand.
If you don't quite understand, ask the other person to repeat. But don't shout. The problem isn't deafness, but a difference in articulation.
Use the correct date format. In the USA, many people use a date format that is unclear to the rest of the world. Rather than say "3-9-2014," say "09 MAR 2014" or "03 SEP 2014" depending on which date you actually mean.
Xplorer 52 Quick Look
The 52-Language Xplorer translates words in all directions for: AArabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Cantonese, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laos, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Malayalam, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Shanghai Hua, Singhalese, Slovakian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Tibetan, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese. It has foreign language characters; phonetics, voice output, over 1 million words and over 100,000 phrases.
The typical way it's used:
You look up a word or a phrase.
You use the phonetic results to pronounce the word or phrase to the other person
Alternatively, the other person can use the device to answer you. Remember, it translates in any direction. The controls are in English, so you may need to show the other person how to use it. This is pretty easy to do.
Translates Over 1 Million Words
100,000 Useful and Popular Phrases
New Oxford American Dictionary
8 Currency Conversions
8 Metric Conversions
Local Time 12/24 Hour Format
Voice / Memo Recorder
World Time in 360 Cities
8 Travel Games:
Soduko, Kakuro, Decoder, Mines, Number Slide,
Totem Pole, 24, Number Puzzle.